Praxair Upgrades The Accustar System To Improve Cylinder Delivery
September 15, 2005
DANBURY, Conn., September 15, 2005 — Praxair, Inc. (NYSE: PX) today announced the completion of its upgrade and implementation of the AccuStarSM cylinder delivery management system that processes transactions electronically at the customer site. The upgrade includes licensing the Roadnet Transportation Suite® advanced logistics planning technology from UPS Logistics Technologies, a global provider of innovative delivery management solutions.
"We have incorporated advanced, proven logistics planning technology from UPS, one of the leading international freight carriers, which will allow us to increase our efficiency and improve on-time performance for our customers," said Dick Marini, Vice-President of Operations for Praxair Distribution Inc., a subsidiary of Praxair, Inc. "The portable AccuStar system frees our drivers from paper work and improves our accuracy in product tracking and billing."
Linked directly to Praxair's North American computer system, the AccuStar system provides efficient dispatching of customer orders on Praxair's trucks. Some of the main advantages for Praxair's customers include:
- Improved data accuracy – The handheld system transfers data electronically to Praxair's computer, eliminating manual entry of part numbers, descriptions, quantities and shipping tickets, thus reducing errors.
- Electronic signature capture – Signatures can be made on the hand-held computer screen that also assigns the person's name in a legible, typed font for the delivery document. Next day proof-of-delivery is readily available upon request.
- Credit card and cash payment – Payment by credit card or cash also generates an electronic receipt upon delivery. A single transaction at the customer site reduces administrative costs in accounts payable later.
- Regulatory compliance – Electronic delivery documents include up-to-date shipping information as it applies to Department of Transportation and Transport Canada regulations. This service ensures accurate information related to regulatory compliance requirements.
- Improved Customer Service – With the Roadnet® software, the delivery management system is expected to increase delivery efficiency and forecasting capabilities allowing customers to benefit from an optimized, integrated delivery system.
The Roadnet software optimizes daily routing and scheduling by providing a route plan in a matter of seconds, instead of the hours it normally takes to plan a route manually. Roadnet is one of the few transportation management applications with seamless data transmission from routing to delivery available today. It uses a single database allowing for significant time savings during account maintenance and reports to be queried and printed from a single location for multiple applications. "We are very excited about our new customer, Praxair," said Len Kennedy, Vice President-General Manager, UPS Logistics Technologies. "By utilizing our Roadnet software, Praxair hopes to experience time savings and increased order efficiency."
While Praxair's AccuStar system offers clear benefits for customers compared to traditional delivery processing, Praxair also gains the advantage of better information for planning delivery routes, managing inventory and more accurately forecasting customer demand. "That means enhanced order dispatching with improved ability to offer a vendor-managed inventory at our customer sites," noted Nelson Moreira, Praxair Distribution Director of Distribution.
Praxair Distribution, Inc. and its subsidiaries and distributors deliver a large array of industrial and specialty gases, equipment and supplies, technical expertise, and services to thousands of customers in the United States and Canada. With hundreds of locations throughout North America, Praxair Distribution provides differentiated product and service offerings that help customers solve problems and achieve their objectives efficiently.
Praxair is the largest industrial gases company in North and South America, and one of the largest worldwide, with 2004 sales of more than $6.6 billion. The company produces, sells and distributes atmospheric and process gases, and high-performance surface coatings. Praxair products, services and technology bring productivity and environmental benefits to a wide variety of industries, including aerospace, food and beverage, healthcare, semiconductor materials, steel, chemicals and refining, metal fabrication, water treatment, glass and others. For more information, visit Praxair on the Internet at www.praxair.com.
Information about UPS Logistics Technologies
A subsidiary of transportation and supply chain management company UPS (NYSE:UPS), UPS Logistics Technologies delivers transportation and logistics solutions that directly impact a company's bottom line. UPS Logistics Technologies has been focused on developing products and solutions to improve the operational efficiency of distribution companies. This concentrated focus has produced industry leading software solutions that enable highly efficient order-to-delivery processes. Solutions include street-level route optimization, territory planning, mobile delivery execution, real-time wireless dispatch and GPS tracking. UPS Logistics Technologies' products are in use with more than 1,300 installations worldwide and manage more than 60,000 vehicles daily. Customer Service is available 24 x 7 to customers in need of assistance. For over 18 years, these solutions have helped elevate the customer experience while lowering transportation costs.
For more information email email@example.com.